Courses, Apprenticeships And Funding For Personal Trainers
Dr Gary Mendoza PhD currently delivers the nutrition sections of our Personal Training courses and is a consultant to Fitness Training Scotland on all things nutrition.
- PhD Applied Science – Nutrition
- B.Sc. Applied Human Nutrition – First Class Honours
- Academic Associate Sport & Exercise Nutrition Register (SENr)
- Member of Association for Nutrition course certification committee
- Learning and Teaching Development certificate – Massey University
- PhD supervision certificate
- Associate member – Sports Dietitians Australia
- ISAK’s Level one course
- Registered nutritionist – Nutrition society
- Member of the Association for the study of Obesity
- D32 & 33 NVQ assessors award
- Certified personal trainer – American Council on Exercise
- Diploma in fitness – Premier fitness instructor training
- Manager Old Hall Leisure, Chester (1994 – 1995)
- Fitness manager Body Matters Gymnasium Cardiff (1998-1999)
- General Manager Lygon Arms Country Club (Savoy Group hotel) (1999)
- Academy Nutritionist Nottingham Forest FC (2005-2006)
- Manager of Nutrition Products – Future Fit Training (1999 – 2007)
- Lecturer in Sports Nutrition – Massey University (New Zealand) (2007-2009)
- Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Nutrition at Bath Spa and Cardiff Metropolitan Universities (current)
- Worked with a number of elite athletes over the past decade these include: commonwealth games athletes and Olympic competitors. Currently work with professional MMA fighter.
I have worked in the leisure industry as a personal trainer (PT) for 23 years. I hold British and American qualifications as a PT. My main focus now is improving the standards of nutrition education in the leisure industry. I currently sit on the Association for Nutrition’s (AfN) certification committee and I am also a course assessor. I am a co-director of the Nutrition Academy (www.the-nutrition-academy.com ) and we deliver the AfN certified course in applied nutrition and supplementation which allows PT’s to take their nutrition knowledge to the next level after completion of their level 3 training. This is one of only a handful of courses recognised by the AfN and provides a clear career path for PTs who want to further their careers in the sphere of nutrition.